Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wordless Graphic Novel


Author: Regis Faller
Title: The Adventures of Polo

Publisher: Roaring Brook Press, 2002.


Grade Level: K-2


Summary: Polo the dog goes on many adventures around the world and even into outer space in this wordless graphic novel.

Strengths:
I think this is the best graphic novel I have come across for young readers. Stereotypically, graphic novels are reserved for older audiences or fantasy fans, but Polo is a loveable, adventurous dog that young children will enjoy. I praise Faller for is wordless story and the challenge of creating such a book. The illustrations were playful and bright, which seemed to suit Polo. Overall, it was an enjoyable book.

Concerns:
I personally did not fully grasp the graphic novel. I understand Polo is going on adventures, but I found the absence of words particularly damaging to my overall understanding. Despite the artist’s attempt there were sequences which I could just simply not understand on their own.

Classroom Use:
Students may enjoy retelling or creating a story based upon this wordless novel. Since there is not written plot, students have almost free reign in creating and supplementing Polo and his adventures. Young artists in the class may also enjoy creating other Polo adventures by drawing pictures similar to the ones found in this book.

*Capitol Choice Book, 2007


(image from Amazon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment