Tuesday, March 17, 2009

“Some Pig”


Author: E.B. White
Title: Charlotte’s Web
Publisher: Harper Collins Publisher, 1980.

Grade Level: 3-5


Summary:
The story of Wilbur, Charlotte, and Fern as they learn about friendship, death, and other life struggles.

Strengths: I LOVE Charlotte’s Web! Hands down this is my favorite book from my childhood. White’s introductory sentence has been praised as one of the best opening sentences in children’s literature. The story is simple, yet remarkable. One thing I particularly appreciate is the fact that yes, this is a fantasy book with talking animals, but the reader is not bogged down with that information, but is focused on the story. Another praise for White is the tough issues, especially death, that he is able to incorporate and allow for children to digest in his work. From the very beginning when Wilbur is born to Charlotte’s death, children are exposed, yet never overwhelmed by death. I certainly believe that every child should read Charlotte’s Web.

Classroom Use:
I think children would appreciate reading and then watching the movie of Charlotte’s Web. Teachers may incorporate comparison techniques or even graphic organizers to help enhance the students’ understanding. I also think Charlotte’s Web would be a fun Reader’s Theater or even play to do as a class.

(image from Amazon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment