Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Captain Underpants and Wedgie Woman Surprised Me!


Author: Dav Pilkey
Title: Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman

Publisher: Scholastic Inc., 2001.


Grade Level: 3rd & up

Summary:
George and Harold must help Captain Underpants defeat Wedgie Woman.

Strengths:
Captain Underpants certainly surprised me. I had some serious doubts prior to reading Captain Underpants, but I was wrong. These books are extremely funny, lively, and entertaining. The comic book style of the book is a perfect match for the story. I enjoyed how some chapters were comic book style, while other were more text with interspersed images. I think the adventure of Wedgie Woman will also capture the attention of young readers.

Concerns:
Misspelled words and language are my biggest concerns with this book. While I understand their use within the context of the story, I am almost certain some schools, parents, teachers, and students will have a problem with this. This book is certainly not for everyone and may only be an appropriate choice for some. I also think its role in the classroom should be limited to independent reading. While some students may enjoy creating comics that emulate the style of Pilkey, using Captain Underpants for an assignment would not be appropriate.

(image from Amazon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment