Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Are there aliens at your school?


Author: Bruce Coville
Title: My Teacher is an Alien

Publisher: Aladdin Paperbacks, 1989.


Grade Level: 3rd & up


Summary:
Susan and Peter have to come up with a plan to save their teacher and prove their suspicions that their substitute teacher is an alien.

Strengths: This book is certainly an interesting read with a lot of action. I certainly found myself wanting to know what would happen next. I think alien and science fiction lovers will definitely enjoy this book.

Concerns: My only concern is if this book may be too scary for some readers, especially Peter’s decision to leave with the alien and go back to his planet. I think some children may struggle to separate reality from fiction and be scared by the story.

Classroom Use: I think the best use for this book would be as an addition to the class library. Some students may enjoy writing their own alien story, but due to the possible issues associated with this book I would not personally advise using it as a mandatory class read.

(image from Amazon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment